Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Abyss: Too Deep


I consider myself to be more than skin deep.

I, like the next person, appreciate something that stimulates my core. Something that allows my mind to tap into the Frontal Lobe of my Cerebrum. So I can utilize the parts of my brain that allows me to use my abstract thinking, problem solving and creative thoughts to get to an appropriate conclusion. Most times I’m usually the first of my colleagues, peeps and peers to understand that there is a hidden message or meaning behind something. I'm usually the one saying "Wow! That's Deep." and  “Oh, I get it,” more frequent than none.  Especially when it deals directly in the arts.

But this time I’m as Clueless as Cher Horowitz and Dionne Davenport in the 90’s.

My musical and lifestyle muse, Erykah Badu, has puzzled me deeply and I need to understand.  I don’t know how long I’ll be able to stand not knowing why she and band members of “The Flaming Lips”, decided to take this direction with this video. As an anti-slut-shaming promoter and a glitter enthusiast, I was down with the nudity and the glitter vomit (for lack of a better description). But someone has a whole lot of splainin’ to do (*Ricky voice*) for the rest of the vid. Let me just say that I can’t see my girl -and fellow Alum- Roberta Flack, thinking that her original song would be portrayed like this.

I won’t say anything else.

Just watch.



No comments:

Post a Comment