Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ideas Worth Spreading |1, pt.1

I have no idea why I haven't written about these before. Especially because 5 out of the 7 days in a week I either start or end my day watching one. Technology, Entertainment, Design or TED as it's commonly referred as, is a conference that brings together the most fascinating thinkers and doers of our world, challenging them to give about a 20min talk of their lives. It's like the quintessential moment for some of these great influential folk of our time. Where they can either sum up their lives work, offer knowledge to a vast community and most importantly share ideas with a world filled with curious souls and future world changing innovators. I believe passionately that the power of ideas can change attitudes, lives and ultimately the world...and so do they.

On my life bucket list right up there with traveling to Uganda and Sierra Leone, and being in a mosh pit at Coachella, I want to attend a TED Talk Conference. Only problem is that the conference is around $6,000 and the waiting list is EXTREME! We'll see what we can do in the future but until that registration fee becomes chump-change for me, I'll stick to watching the free talks and performances on their website.

One of my favorite writers of one of my favorite books, Eat, Pray, Love (yea I actually read the book, not just watched the movie), Elizabeth Gilbert,  luckily was able to give a Talk. For me it was very moving, inspiring and thought provoking. And above all it allowed me to challenge the way I think about the idea of creativity. She discusses how to allow it to fester and continue to flow. The talk also invites us to stop thinking that creativity and suffering are somehow linked. And to know that artistry does not always lead to suffering in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment