Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"I knew it would come to this..."

Every time I lay eyes on Beyonce that quote runs through my mind. Blame it on her terrible acting that that’s the only line I remember from her movie Obsessed. Wait, no. Blame it on the fact that every time my friend and I refer to the current state of my life, that’s the only thing that can be said. Oh the fuck well. Anywayyyz…

So twitter has now officially proven to be the devil. It’s funny how social networking sites have a tendency to either help you re-evaluate or destroy friendships and relationships. I swear it all started with MySpace.

Remember how you’d be PISSED when someone moved you down from number 1 on their “top 8”? You’d leave a message or comment saying, “Jus stoppin thru. Saw u mov3d m3 to numb3r 2 on ur top 8? lol.” You may have written the acronym for “laugh out loud” but that was no laughing matter. You were livid! You guys were supposed to be best friends or worst that was your boyfriend and some new chick had your top spot!! They would try to explain that their top was in no particular order, and your so called lover would tell you that the mysterious girl in question was a cousin or just some random girl from his class who asked to be on there. And don’t let it get to the point where you weren’t on the top at all… I know people were SO GLAD when Tom decided to allow a top 24 or when people realized there was a code to hide your friend list from your page…

I try to remember that I never want a computer telling me how someone feels. But sometimes it seems like the internet is the only means in which you can guarantee that the person you are trying to get attention from is paying you any mind. And trust me, if you’re trying to prove a point to someone through social networking chances are someone will eventually try to prove something to you. In the realm of twitter instead of directly telling a person how offended you are feeling you have 140 characters to type up little statements/song lyrics/trending topics that EVERYONE knows is directed towards a particular person. For example; “You’re probably a #sidelinechick if he calls me up asking to meet me later on tonight. #justsayin, #kanyeshrug.”

Yeaaa, and this being NO WAY related to the above example, earlier tonight my friend called me asking me why my roommate and I had resorted back to twitter to play each other’s lives. I was honestly confused, yet I actually had to try and remember what the last thing I wrote on twitter was, just in case I may have actually been talking about him. But after she told me the last things we both wrote all I could do was laugh. We were obviously not fueding through tweets (this time) but the funny thing was the fact that I knew if she thought that our tweets were directed towards each other chances were that other people were thinking it too…

Yea I expected Twitter to get out of control just like all of its predecessors. I just hope that whatever new social networking site that decides to come around figures out a way to prevent the end of relationships from starting with a harmless visit to their website…

No comments:

Post a Comment