Friday, March 9, 2012

Gender Roles... and why they're the devil

I have a lot to say on this subject but i'll keep it short because I have a bus to New York to catch...It allllll started when I was kicking it with one of my old male friends from high school today and he tried to explain to me that the reason why I'm not in a relationship is because I make more money than the males I've interacted with in the past. According to him, males don't appreciate feeling financially inferior to the women they are with because it makes them feel as they aren't "man enough". Supposedly men in heterosexual relationships have to feel as if they have to be the primary providers. Maybe it's the feminist in me (and you know that side prevails) but every time someone tries to tell me what a man/woman is suppose to do/be, I roll my eyes. It's 2012...are we really still placing people into definite positions?

In regards to the fact that a female making more money than a male is intimidating or makes them.feel as if they cant flex their manhood (not literally -_-) is ridiculous. If you have an issue with me making more money than you then my god, find another job. Yes, it's really that simple. I wont jeopardize my happiness, enjoyment and finical perks I may get with my career because YOU feel sometype of way at the fact that my pay check is more than yours. What you thought this was?? Now I will be honest. I would be happy if the males who thought like this graced my life much more than if the golddiggin, longing for suga mommas, lookin to hold a 10 spot every day, jobless smucks that are running rampant among the world, who continually try to holler. But that's a post for another day. Back to gender roles...

If you're going to discuss gender roles you have to begin with the one question that no one seems to be able to successfully answer without making some type of acknowledgement to the accompanying party. That question is, "What does it mean to be a woman or a man?" I can't answer that question and I haven't heard an adequate response in my opinion. It's difficult to answer because being a woman and being a man for some reason cannot stand on it's own. You can't answer what makes you a woman without implying what doesn't make you a man, and vice versa. I think it has gotten harder to define these terms because these once definite lines have now begun to over-lap and blur as society has changed and become more accepting to situations and how people live their lives. And because of these lack of definitions, it's hard, if not impossible, to tell people where their place is in a relationships/family/careers/etc..

They were both makin money and we all know Claire ran that house!
A lot has changed since the times of  Susie Homemaker and Bread- Winning Johnny. And with those changes so should the ideas of how a modern man or woman operates. If my future man wants to stay home with the kids while I provide the complete finances, that's fine. If I chose to stay home that's fine as well. As long as we are provided for who cares where it's coming from? If we both decide to work and we make the same amount, or He makes more or I make more it doesn't matter. In the end, the mentality "What's mine is yours" falls into place and who makes more should matter very little.  And although this will unlikely be my future living situation, if we both decide to be homeless vagabonds and depend on our skills in nomadic lifestyles to take care of us, neither one of us should feel as if we haven't lived up to what a woman or man should be and what we are suppose to do.

Although I know this isn't the reason, if what my friend says is true, about my current finical status, I guess I'm happy my Facebook status remains "Single" not because of my lack of personality or sexy looks. I'm sooooooooooooooo cool with being single and rich. *Cue Destiny's Child- "Independent Woman" ...now!*

No comments:

Post a Comment